There is a LOT of information here! But don’t let that intimidate you. If you’re currently a reloader and you just want to compare your practices to mine, feel free to view the videos randomly. Jump around and simply look at the content that’s of interest to you.
If you are new to reloading, however, especially if you haven’t yet purchased any equipment or components, I would proceed in a much more orderly fashion. Start at the top. View the videos about equipment and components. You can download and keep the summary documents for easy and fast reference, especially the one about how to determine your first starting load, before you buy anything, especially components. Your first load will dictate the components you will need. (Why so deliberate? I still haven’t used some of the components I originally purchased, because I wasn’t sure what I would need and simply guessed!)
And finally, then view the videos about the actual reloading process itself. These will show you step-by-step the actual procedures you’ll follow to assemble your first complete cartridges. Once you know what you will do and how you will do it, then it’s time to buy equipment and components, including a couple of good, current manuals, and get started!
Of course if you already own equipment and/or components, dive in as well! See what I have to say about the equipment and compare it to yours. See if your components are appropriate for a good starting load.
Most of all, don’t be intimidated! We want you to understand everything you do, exactly how to do it safely, and why you want to do it that way! There is simply no substitute for knowledge, especially when the alternative is to “learn from your mistakes.” Some mistakes are simply too expensive to risk learning that way. If you follow tried-and-true basic skills, you can be reloading your favorite cartridge quickly. Then you can continue to add new components and calibers.
Videos covering all of the subjects are already recorded an uploaded where noted. Many have a downloadable document where noted, that you can keep for an easy reference. Come back often to check on our progress!
NOTE: Because of the volume of video content, all videos are hosted on YouTube. But they are not available to the public outside of this site.
IF YOU ALREADY RELOAD: You may consider some of our content/recommendations more conservative and/or deliberate or cautious than you think we need to be. There’s plenty of room for respectful disagreement. In the context of our advice being directed at the true “newbie”, however, I believe you will agree that being very deliberate and extremely cautious is the smartest place to begin. There’s all the time in the world to build economies of time into our practices, but only after those practices are truly understood.
Welcome to ReloadingBasics.com! An introduction by your host, Joel Guerin. Watch Video Here.
Watch ReloadingBasics Overview Video Here. (Added October 21, 2014)
- First Deadly Sin. (Added October 21, 2014)
- Second Deadly Sin. (Added October 21, 2014)
- Third Deadly Sin. (Added October 21, 2014)
- Fourth Deadly Sin. (Added October 22, 2014)
- Fifth Deadly Sin. (Added October 22, 2014)
- Overview Conclusion. (Added October 22, 2014)
- Watch the Five Deadly Sins of Reloading here.
- Presses: Single Stage (Watch Single Stage Press Video Here), Turret (Watch Turret Press Video Here, Progressive (Watch Progressive Press Video Here). Download Presses Summary here. [ddownload id=”129″]
- Die sets: (Watch Die Video Here). Download Die Sets Summary here. [ddownload id=”131″]
- Case preparation tools and equipment. (Watch Case Prep #1 Video Here). (Watch Case Prep #2 Video Here). Download Case Prep Tools and Equip Summary here.[ddownload id=”134″]
- Powder measuring devices: (Watch Measuring Powder #1 Video Here), (Watch Measuring Powder #2 Video Here), and (Watch Measuring Powder #3 Video Here).
- Miscellaneous equipment – COMING SOON!
- Optional equipment – COMING SOON!
- Equipment summary (Watch Equipment Summary Here).
- Manuals: WHATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE YOU PURCHASE COMPONENTS! (Watch Manual Video Here)
- Cases: (Watch Case Video Here). Download Case Selection and Preparation Summary here. [ddownload id=”125″]
- Bullets: (Watch Bullets Video Here).
- Powder: (Watch Powder Video Here).
- Primers (Watch Primer Video Here).
- Determining your first load (Watch Working Up A Load Overview Here). (Watch Working Up A Load #1 Here). (Watch Working Up A Load #2 Here). (Watch Working Up A Load #3 Here). (Watch Working UP A Load Summary Here).
- Case preparation – notes on lubing (Watch Lubing Video Here), and military crimps
- Case preparation – decapping (removing old primer) and resizing (Watch Sizing and Decapping Video Here.)
- Case preparation – trimming, chamfer and deburring, primer pocket cleaning and final tumbling. (Watch Case Trimming and Primer Pocket Cleaning Video Here). (Watch Tumbling Video Here).
- Case preparation – expanding (handgun only) and priming (Watch Expanding and Priming Handgun Ammo Here). (Watch Priming Rifle Ammo Here).
- Case preparation – summary
- Weighing powder – (Watch Adding Pistol Powder #1 Here). (Watch Adding Pistol Powder #2 here). (Watch Adding Rifle Powder #1 Here). (Watch Adding Rifle Powder #2 Here).
- Weighing powder – final safety check (Watch Final Safety Check Video Here).
- Seating bullet – (Watch Pistol Bullet Seating Video Here). (Watch Rifle Bullet Seating Video Here).
- Crimping – (Watch Crimping Overview Video Here). (Watch Pistol Cartridge Crimping Video Here). (Watch Rifle Cartridge Crimping Video Here).
- Record and label your load – COMING SOON!
- TESTING YOUR LOADS AT THE RANGE
- Testing COL (Cartridge Overall Length) – COMING SOON!
- Measuring cartridges for “creep” – COMING SOON!
- Measuring bullet speed/cartridge pressure/consistency – COMING SOON!
- You did it! – COMING SOON!